In the regions, BRGM conducts activities to support policy development and expert studies as well as scientific research.
The regional divisions work in all BRGM topic areas. Water resources, natural risks, climate change impacts and geothermal potential in France are some of the core themes addressed by the BRGM's activities in the regions.
Close coverage of issues of concern to the regions
As well as its Head Offices in Orléans, the BRGM has 13 regional divisions and 5 delegations in mainland France, as well as 5 regional divisions and a branch office in Overseas France, working closely on issues of concern to its clients and partners across mainland and overseas France. Its responsibilities for mine safety are carried out through its 4 regional post-mining units (Utam).
Thanks to its comprehensive regional coverage, BRGM maintains close links with its local partners:
- devolved state departments,
- local and regional authorities,
- targeted agencies,
- Chambers of Commerce, Agriculture and Industry,
- universities and research establishments,
- competitiveness and excellence clusters,
- other regional partners and the public
BRGM regional agencies
Other overseas collectivities
BRGM's activities also cover several overseas collectivities in which it has no permanent establishment:
- French Polynesia (actions supervised by the Deputy Directorate of Territorial Actions, in charge of Overseas France),
- Saint-Martin (actions supervised by the Guadeloupe regional division),
- Saint-Barthélemy (actions supervised by the Guadeloupe regional division),
- Saint-Pierre-et-Miquelon (actions supervised by the Guadeloupe regional division),
- Wallis and Futuna (actions supervised by the New Caledonia branch office).
Regional post-mining units (Utam)
BRGM’s responsibilities for mine safety are carried out through its 4 regional post-mining units, covering the French mining basins:
- Utam North in Billy-Montigny,
- Utam East in Freyming-Merlebach,
- Utam Centre West in Orléans,
- Utam South in Gardanne.