Earthquakes and infrastructure
Your issues and needs
The impact of earthquakes on infrastructures (transport, energy, networks, ports, airports, logistics facilities, etc.) concerns more than just their physical integrity. The services they provide must generally be maintained in the event of a crisis occurring. It is particularly important to have scenarios to assess possible impacts and to implement solutions to ensure critical functions.
A rapid assessment of damage in the event of a seismic alert allows the necessary inspection and safety measures to be taken quickly. Early warning systems have also been developed to anticipate the response in the event of a seismic event and limit the impacts.
Cracked road following an earthquake.
© Adobestock - Tom Wang
Our added value
BRGM mobilises its experts (seismologists, structural engineers, computer scientists, etc.), in France and abroad, to help infrastructure managers comply with their regulatory obligations and find innovative solutions adapted to their challenges in terms of risk assessment, prevention and reduction:
- Documentation on the risks specific to your networks and installations,
- Training to better understand the phenomena and the measures to be taken,
- Geological and seismological studies, of documentation repositories or with geophysical tests,
- Simulations of seismic responses of structures,
- Vulnerability studies of installations,
- Permanent or temporary seismological monitoring networks (design, development, deployment),
- Impact scenarios (earthquake, tsunami) to anticipate and prepare the response to natural disasters, or choose suitable sites,
- Tools for rapid assessment of damage (near real-time): design and development adapted to your needs,
- Organisation and facilitation of crisis response exercises.
Tools and software
- Géorisques: web portal gathering up-to-date public data on natural and technological risks
- EFISPEC: 3D numerical modelling tool for seismic wave propagation
- Armagedom: damage simulation tool based on seismic scenarios
- VIGIRISK: platform for scenario-based simulation of natural risk impacts (earthquakes, ground movements, coastal flooding)
- Development and deployment of targeted and personalised alert bulletins in case of an event occurring
- Hazard mapping (microzoning)
- Atlas of risks (all natural hazards)
- Suricate-Nat: web portal that collects and analyses in real time the information relayed on Twitter concerning natural risks in France
- Assessment of the vulnerability of infrastructures (buildings, water network, reservoirs, power lines, airports, etc.) around the world
- Prioritising interventions and proposing measures to reduce vulnerability
- Development and deployment of seismic alert services for linear infrastructures such as high-speed rail lines.
- SEISAID: automatic transmission of a rapid assessment bulletin of the consequences of an earthquake on the basis of a seismic alert (CEA/LDG Alert, or international system).
- ThinkHazard! is a web-based application highlighting the degree of likelihood of various natural hazards affecting the area concerned. It also provides guidelines for reducing the impact of these risks and recommends resource documentation.
- Elaboration of supports (cartography, event injection, media pressure, etc.) for RICHTER seismic crisis management exercises.