Opening BRGM to society in French Guiana (2018)
The July 04, 2018 - Papaïchton
As a public institution for research and expert studies, BRGM contributes to the dialogue between science and society in its different fields.
Establishing a dialogue with civil society representatives in the French regions
BRGM's regional representatives organise meetings with representatives of civil society groups to discuss regional environmental questions relating to BRGM's areas of expertise and on which papers and articles have been published.
These meetings provide opportunities for open and constructive discussions. They stimulate exchanges of knowledge - or of knowledge "gaps” - questions from all parties and the expression of their expectations, while observing the ethical principles that guarantee transparency and trust and preserve the independent judgement of all concerned.
Summary of the meeting held at Papaïchton on 4 July 2018
Topic on the agenda
Groundwater and drinking water production
Date and venue
4 July 2018 at Papaïchton
- Raising awareness of the proper use of groundwater to maximise the sustainability of drinking water production from new boreholes.
- Exhibition of rock samples extracted during drilling into the aquifer to be used
- Discussion on the topic and issues that arise
4 participants representing the following organisations:
- Urban Planning and Spatial Planning Department
- CFPPA Matiti à Maripasoula
Specific points, participants' expectations and questions, discussions
The discussion focused on borehole locations and possibilities for using exploratory boreholes to install piezometers or water quality meters.