Pierre Toulhoat, the BRGM's Deputy Executive Director, and Khishigjargal Kherlen, Chair of the Mineral Resources and Petroleum Autority of Mongolia (MRPAM), sign the partnership agreement.
Broad-ranging Franco-Mongolian cooperation in different geoscience fields
This agreement renews the cooperation programme between the two organisations, established in 2013 with the signature of an initial Memorandum of Understanding. The purpose of the partnership is to provide a framework for exchanging knowledge and increasing the scientific and technical capacities of the MRPAM and the BRGM in different fields of the Earth sciences. Joint work will focus on the following in particular:
- Remote sensing and geological mapping, analysis of data from satellite imagery and development of geographic information systems,
- Geological databases,
- Mineral resource assessments,
- Impacts of mining activities on the environment,
- Mine closures and post mining,
- Hydrogeology and protection of water resources,
- Geothermal resources.
As expressed by Mr Kherlen: "We are looking to active cooperation in these different areas. Our aim is to rapidly develop practical activities to follow the signature of this agreement."
Cooperation projects may focus in particular on training, research activities, exchanges of technical information and visits.
The Mongolian and French delegations at the signature of the MRPAM-BRGM agreement on 27 June 2018.