SedNet Conference 2021
From Jun 29 to July 03, 2021 - Lille, France
Sediment desiccation structures of the Pariah River, Utah (USA, 2015).
© BRGM - Patrice Christmann
“Sediment Challenges and Opportunities due to Climate Change and Sustainable Development”
Sediments found in upland streams, industrialised waterways, busy coastal zones and offshore waters are characterized by a wide variety of sediment properties in dynamic and less dynamic areas. Sediment distribution is not only impacted by direct human influence but also indirectly as a result of changing weather and climate patterns.
Often overlooked, there may be direct and indirect effects of climate change on sediment quality, too. More frequent flash floods may erode deeper and older, more contaminated sediment layers and spread it onto flood plains. Increased UV radiation may change degradation of contaminants.
At the SedNet 2021 conference we invite abstracts for a series of sessions aiming to explore these challenges and proposed solutions. This includes how policies and plans are developed for the range of often interlinked issues experienced along the journey from upland areas to the deeper waters.
- Climate change and sediments: direct and indirect consequences and opportunities
- Sediment habitats, biodiversity and ecosystem services
- Circular economy – sediment as a resource
Remediation and uses / Building with dredged materials and/or sediments
- Sediment management concept and sediment policy
Policy for sediment management / Transboundary sediments & innovative maintenance of river delta sea systems
- Sediment quality guidance, sediment quality assessment
Sediment quality assessment, analytical methods, quality guidance
- How to deal with emerging substances / PFAS / Microplastics
- Impacts of disturbed sediment continua and mitigation measures?
Sediment balance / Understanding sediment fluxes and budgets on a river basin scale / HORIZON Europe / Land use impact of sustainable sediment management
- Sediments in coastal-marine management and EU strategies
Horizon Europe / Blue Growth
- Sustainable food production and/or consumption solutions and their effect on sediments and climate change